Saturday, August 7, 2010

God's presence in a young man named Peter - vivid and beautiful...


Peter is a young man of 25 who has lived in the rural areas of Swaziland all his life. Orphaned at the age of 5 when his mother died and never really knowing who his father was, Peter knew despair at a tender, early age.
Taken in by a kind lady who use to employ his mother, Peter was saved from a life of living under the bushes and begging for food. For this he is most grateful and speaks with much love and kindness towards the dear lady who raised him. But she was very poor herself, and so while he was kept safe, there were many needs left unmet.

When I met Peter for the first time in March of this year, he graciously agreed to hop in our car and help us find the many rural churches we were visiting to assess whether they were a “fit” for our upcoming Bible Camps. Peter had lived in this remote area all his life and everyone knew him well – so he was the perfect guide sent by God (we had not chosen him – God had sent him to us). Just love seeing God like that. ☺
During our day of riding and meeting church pastors, I had repeatedly offered Peter bits of food as I nibbled here and there on banana, granola bars, etc. He would politely decline unless it was a soft fruit. At the end of the day I knew he had not eaten nearly enough – and I did not want to leave him hungry so I pressed to leave him food as we were dropping him near where he lived. When he looked at the food and declined, I pressed. He finally explained that he had a very painful jaw tooth that would only allow him to each ripe bananas and very soft foods. I asked if he would allow me to see the tooth – he agreed – I could see the black center and grey fingers spreading from the black center of his back left jaw tooth. I asked him if he had ever seen a dentist and he shyly shook his head “no”. I asked if he would be willing to go to the dentist so his tooth could be cared for and with a spark of fear in his eye he said he would be willing.

Just weeks before I had traveled to Swaziland, a dear lady from a ladies group at a church near our home had slipped $40 in my hand and said, please use this when you have a need in Africa. She had graciously meant that I should use the money for myself when I had a need. But as I stood there with Peter, in a matter of moments, I praised God that He had met every one of my needs and that He had even provided money in my pocket to hopefully meet this young man’s need. The money was literally in my skirt pocket as I had prayed over it and carried it with me throughout the trip eager to see where it was suppose to go. I quickly asked the kind man driving me (a gentleman from New York who has sold all he owns and moved to Swaziland to serve) if he would be willing to arrange a dentist appointment, drive the 2 hours to collect Peter and be his “dad” for the whole affair of caring for the tooth. Mark Hackett is a wonderful many who loves God and looks for opportunities to serve Him . He was already saying “yes” before I could finish my request.

I left Peter that day with a plan and a prayer ---- and we were all blessed to have been able to see God’s love flow to Peter.

Two weeks later, after I was back home in Georgia, I received an email from Mark that Peter’s visit to the dentist was done. The jaw tooth was indeed infected and the wisdom tooth underneath it was infected as well. More extensive work would need to be done. This was much more serious than we had realized. Appointments were made to visit an oral surgeon. I prayed and asked God for provision. Days later the surgery was complete and all was well for Peter. This infected jaw could have easily developed into a fatal situation--- God chose that Peter would be saved --- we could see this clearly through His detailed choreography of events. Praise God!

So when Mark shared with me the remaining funds needed to pay for the oral surgery, I prayed and committed to finding a way to pay for them. Peter felt loved and cared for --- and I knew God had already laid out His plans.

The WMU at Coal Mountain Baptist Church, where the dear lady who had given me the initial $40 attends as well, had invited me to share with their group about the work in Africa I had seen God doing. After our evening together, they lovingly placed a very generous donation in my hands and asked that I use it to further God’s work. I was blessed beyond words.
I had been diligent and prayerful to allot the funds as God would have them to be used. And get this --- I had just enough funds remaining to fully cover Peter’s oral surgery bill. So I prayed to confirm this was God’s plan --- and felt that good peace wash over me. So the funds were sent. Peter felt the goodness of the Lord through these ladies hands.
And I saw His goodness as well.

The brief time I spent with Peter also touched another Swazi lady who was in the car with us the day he assisted us in finding the rural churches. Paula was touched by his meek demeanor and by God’s very clear desire to meet Peter’s needs through the gift I carried in my skirt pocket. His story was/is very touching.

So during the days between then and now, Paula has been at work in her church in in Mbabane. She has completed all the needed paperwork and contacted Peter to see if he would like to join YWAM and serve God in other countries!!!!! YWAM – Youth With A Mission – is a solid, Godly organization that equips young people with a heart for God to serve others and evangelize the gospel of Christ.
Peter, a young man orphaned at an early age, who has lived in rural Swaziland all his life ---- and who has loved God deeply and openly calling God his one and only Father --- now has an amazing opportunity and future ahead of him ----- all because he was willing to guide us to churches and he caught our focused attention because of a terrible tooth ache that needed attention. Isn’t GOD BEAUTIFUL! YES!!!!!

So as I have been here this trip – the plans have been put in order by Paula for Peter’s application into YWAM and he has been accepted. He will move to their training center here in central Swaziland and live here for several months ---- and is then scheduled to live and serve in Egypt. EGYPT! The place he has read about in his Bible, the place that is in great need of GOD, and a place far, far away from the rural hills of Swaziland. Peter had shared with me on the first day we met, that he longed to become more educated, he wanted to share the gospel with others, and he wanted to become a writer someday.
Are you praising God with me??!!!

Paula had arranged for Peter to receive a scholarship of about $900 USD --- and she has committed to trying to raise some of the still needed $900. I told her I would love to share this beautiful story and see if God also touched any of you to contribute to Peter’s YWAM costs. I’ll need to ask her how we can get the funds to YWAM for Peter ---- so there are a few details to iron out still in that regard.
But ----- I am so thrilled to see God’s goodness to Peter.
Just as my trip to rural Swaziland led me to meet a young man named Peter who was in need ---- and God provided for his needs; I am completely certain Peter’s trip to Egypt (and all the other places God will take him in the future) will bring him before people in need, and God will provide for those situations as well.

God is sovereign, omnipresent, and omniscient. He is the holder of the plans. He is most worthy of all our praise. We stand in awe of HIM.

No comments:

Post a Comment