Ok – so today started great! Woke up feeling rested and ready for another day here in Nairobi. But one thing is for sure --- Nairobi is a struggle in every way (and I can’t stand it). The traffic, the air pollution, the tons of people, the street kids, the trash EVERYWHERE, the smells --- of body odor, diesel, dirt, and rotting garbage. The ONLY things I have smelled that were pleasant since my arrival: my shampoo and soap, flowers in a shamba near Mt. Kenya, good food being cooked in Bishop David and Joyce’s kitchen, and some antibacterial wipes sent by a friend. Last night I took one of the wipes scented of “sweet pea” from Bath and Body works --- and laid it on my pillow just so I could go to sleep smelling something good. Am I a whiny baby or what!!! I don’t like that part of me – but if I’m transparent, I must share the bone truth. I despise the stink and dust of this city --- and long for my lavender scented pillow at home.
I should have expected the valley. Since always after a mountain top experience there is sure to be a valley to journey through on the other side. The weekend had its share of struggles --- but all in all it was a beautiful mountain top experience. Mixing the pain I saw in some women’s eyes with the glorious response of God --- the over all outcome was nothing short of wonderful.
So I should have been expecting a jolt – a valley walk today – but I was a bit unprepared for the day. Spiritually – I was set. I began the day early reading the book of James and spending lots of time listening to praise music on my computer. However, emotionally and physically --- I was not prepared.
We went to 6 homes and one school to “visit” and pray for the people who had asked that we come. Some were new believers and some of these had non-believers waiting for our arrival, hoping we would be able to say those right words that would move their hearts toward God. And some (most) were hurting – sick – wounded – and living in a world that was almost too painful to even visit for a few moments. Stories of “ddo” husbands (daily drunk officers). It’s what the wives jokingly call their alcoholic (sometimes abusive) husbands. They come home drunk everynight after having spent their daily earnings on beer. The woman is left wondering how she will feed her children the next day. And arguing with him about it will not bring good results. God help these women!
These were Christian ladies (but not one of their husbands share their faith) --- and as I sat in their homes and heard the stories told humbly and with a flavor of brokenness --- I was overcome to realize the situation these ladies find themselves in day after day. It was too much to even imagine. But I needed to --- so that I could cry out to God for her and with her. And I did.
As we went from home to home --- these ladies --- poor and broken as they are --- opened their doors and revealed an amazingly clean home (well except for one of them). You step off the squalor in the dirt street into a small, cramped, but reasonably clean “home”. It’s a culture shock experience over and over again. How can there be piles of trash, roving street boys, and dogs with pups carrying bloated bellies filled with worms just 2 feet from the place these ladies call “home”. They wash everything by hand --- and cook everything over open fires on a “gicko”. They scrub their children until they shine – and serve tea to everyone who enters their door. But they struggle to have enough food and they know their fate tonight will be the same as it was last night. He will come home when he wants to and do what he wants to when he enters the door with no consideration of his responsibility to feed and care for his family. God help these ladies.
And so I reached my physical limit today. I became ill --- sick to my stomach. I wanted to throw-up --- but wouldn’t allow it. Because the bottom line is --- their needs are so much greater than mine. They live in it --- and I get sick just visiting. God help me in my weakness --- but first help them in their NEED.
I have never met a more hospitable group of people than these ladies --- except for perhaps my dear mother and father in law – Richard and Mary. If you walk into my in-laws home – you are welcomed and made to feel right at home. Mary and Richard just know how to love people. And the same is true with these dear ladies here. Today they explained to me --- that in their culture – they believe that if you enter their home and take something to eat or drink --- then you are leaving behind a blessing on their home when you leave. If you do not eat or drink --- they feel robbed of the blessing. But finally at the last house, I told the dear lady named Jemima – that my stomach was feeling badly and that I knew I would throw-up if I took more tea. I asked her if I could place my hands on her and pray a blessing on her home instead --- assuring her that God will bless the prayer more quickly that the taking of food. She agreed --- I’m so thankful ---- for I really didn’t want to @#%&* in her home. There would be no water to clean it up ---as there is a water shortage in Nairobi due to the drought. And can you believe, I didn’t want to yammy outside --- because it was just too dirty out there. (How crazy does that sound…)
Friends --- after you read this ---- walk through your home (your big, beautiful home) and thank God for each and every room ---even your closets. Thank Him for your clean floors, your running water, your toilet that flushes, your grassy yard, and every flower that blooms in your garden. Thank Him for your washing machines and dish washers, your soft, warm, clean beds, thank Him for your safe, healthy children --- and the good men in your life. And thank Him for healthy pets, your refrigerator and freezer, the soft rugs under your clean feet, and the sweet smells that permeate the place you call home. God has lavished each and every one of us --- beyond measure --- beyond belief. Praise Him for His goodness to you. Thank Him for the money in your pocket and your bank and your cds and your stocks/investments (even if they are not giving you a good return right now). Thank Him for your paved driveway and the fact that you can go to the store riding in a nice car – walk across a paved parking area, purchase all the food you need, drive back home and park in your garage --- and through the entire outing – your feet never even touch dirt. Thank Him for your mailbox and phone and computer and cell phone as well. Thank Him for your cabinets that are filled with dishes (some of which you may never even use) and for the coffee pot that sits on your counter. Thank Him for your beautifully decorated home – with curtains over unbroken windows. Thank Him that you do not have bars on every window. Thank Him for the pictures of your blessed family found hanging on your beautifully painted walls and polished table tops. Thank him for the birds that sing outside your home and the peacefulness of the night when you put your babies to bed and lay your head on your sweet smelling pillow. Oh --- THANK HIM.
And pray for Alice, Nancy, Veronica, Monica, Beatrice, Jemima, Jane, and Windrose. Their lives are harsh and difficult and they have none of the things I just mentioned above.
This day was a journey through a valley. The valley was filled with sad story after sad story ---- but a valley that is well traveled by our Lord. He has not forgotten them --- oh God --- come quickly please.
At the far end of this valley --- God blessed me. I was able to talk with my Steve on Skype. I actually got to see his face and we talked for a long time. God knew exactly what was needed – and He opened the way.
I love you all dearly --- and am so thankful for where you live and who you live with. ☺
No comments:
Post a Comment