On the 19th, I spoke to two groups, once in church and once to a group of ladies from several churches gathered in the afternoon.
I find that I love speaking about our Lord to these dear ladies. I’m still unsure of myself, there is little real confidence within me. But God is showing me here in Africa – that when I’m quaking in my shoes, my knees are weak, my heart is hurting for home, and everything around me is unfamiliar ---- when all my comforts and securities are absent --- He then finds a vessel He will speak through. It’s not a vessel that is broken, but instead it is a vessel that is empty of “self”.
It has been an amazing experience. Praying to Him, seeking His filling, and then opening my mouth and being covered with chills as the words coming from my mouth are His. I feel the prayer cover of you all – I truly feel it – thank you so, so much! God is faithful.
If I’ve ever felt unable to speak into someone’s life, it has surely been these past few days. Many of these ladies live a difficult life. Their life is harder than we can begin to grasp. And the only place they can find refuge and sustaining strength is in the Lord. (But then again – isn’t that true for all of us.)
They want to be rescued NOW. So friend --- their “wait on the Lord” is immeasurably different than mine. These ladies contemplate suicide and have lost dear friends who couldn’t take it anymore and were successful in their attempt to end the pain. These ladies grieve over hungry children, drunk husbands, and babies they have had to bury. For many of them there is little comfort in their world. And yet they sat in church and listened to the white lady talk about God. And God had so much to say to them today. He told them how much He adored them. He used the book of Ruth and He met them where they were.
As I shared with them the words of love God placed in my mouth, their questioning, unsure eyes grew soft. And misty tears appeared as they heard HIM. Not tears of sorrow, but tears of “hearing Him”. It was beautiful to see. I told them that even if their earthly father had not loved them gently and tenderly, they needed to know that their Heavenly Father does. He made them because He knew He would miss them if they had never been born. He looks upon them in the morning when they are still sleeping and waits patiently for them to awaken. He adores them and wants to fill them to overflowing with His love and strength and goodness. I knew as these words came out of my mouth --- that they had never heard such loving words before. As I am told, it’s not part of their culture. They are raised to be tough and strong so they can endure the hardships of life in their world. But today God wanted them to hear His heart for them.
I praise God for the words He lavished on these ladies. They are daughters of the King. And the King will be the one to take vengeance on any who have not loved His daughters. But until that day comes, the King calls His daughters to walk in love and keep their eyes on Him.
The men in this land need to change. I believe God will change them and change is already taking place in many homes. I talked late into the night with Bishop David and Joyce last night to try and be sure my understanding of life for these women was accurate, and not skewed in anyway. I was enlightened. Bishop shared with me that extreme abuse was very common in generations past – but that today’s married couple is not plagued with the ruthless abuse of the past. Instead – women are fighting back now. Is that good? Yes and no. I’m glad the abuse is not nearly as prevalent – truly thankful. And a woman should never allow her husband to make a kicking-post of her. But sadly – fighting back does not mean “love” is a part of the equation. Usually fighting back can bring a more terribly result in the end. Tough love is not the same as retaliation – instead it takes a loving stand and refuses to continue to let evil prevail. But thankfully Bishop and Joyce shared that the percentage of abused women has dropped dramatically over the past generation. The biggest problem now is husband’s who drink and use their salaries to pay for beer rather than take care of their family. It’s a type of silent abuse. This is the “abuse” many women endure now. They shared with me that beatings are rare --- even with drunkard husbands. They do still happen --- but not nearly as much as in the past (especially in the cities – the rural areas might still have more abusive men). So it’s still not good --- but it’s at least changing in the right direction. Thank you God.
Ruth suffered too. She knew hunger, she was widowed, she lived with a bitter mother-in-law, and she lived in a culture that was hard on women (which is completely true in Kenya). But Ruth, regardless of her circumstances, chose to love others and do the next right thing everyday. Ruth is a close sister to these dear ladies in Kenya. God blessed Ruth beyond measure as she obediently did the next right thing and simply loved those in her life.
These ladies rarely cry – with tears. When a child dies or they are grieved in some deep way – they will lament, they wail, they cry out with groanings that come from the gut. And tears may or may not appear. But they don’t cry because their heart is touched. Tears of joy are not common at all --- and for some – they have never known them. They are stoic in many ways.
Today – they listened and heard God’s deep love for them. And many of them sat with tears running down their beautiful cheeks.
I was careful to speak truth to them. The truth is --- just because God loves them --- their life will not necessarily become easier. We live in a fallen world. A place where the enemy is squirming and inflicting all the pain he can possibly produce. And God’s response to that is His lavish love on His sons and daughters. He allowed His only Son to endure unbearable pain – all because of His great love for us. God may or may not move the mountains before us ---- but when we live for Him and follow His ways – He will strengthen us to climb the mountain, see Him during the journey, and do amazing things in the process.
God, forgive me for the moments that I have made a mountain out of a mole-hill in my life. The many times I have been so self-focused and self-centered that I actually thought my trials were “too big to bear”. Oh Lord – you’ve opened my eyes once again – and in an even more intense way ---- to what real mountains look like. Thank you for your mercy and patience, your grace and love. Thank you for the gentle man I live with and the beautiful children you have given me to raise for you. I praise you for the little one you took home early – for the grief of that loss is now used by you to help me connect to these women and their losses. Thank you for the food you bless my children with everyday in our safe, peaceful home. It is no small thing at all. Let me take the blessings you have lavished on me and use them fully for good in the lives of those around me. You are a beautiful, mighty, majestic, powerful, gentle, loving, sovereign, holy, righteous God and I worship you fully. Please orchestrate these moments here so they are worthwhile in your eyes Lord.
‘When they cry out to You because of their oppressors, You will send them a Savior and defender, and You will rescue them.’ (Isaiah 19:22b)
‘You will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths You will guide them; You will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth. These are the things You will do; You will not forsake them.’ (Isaiah 42: 16)
‘Your people will live in peaceful dwelling places, in secure homes, in undisturbed places of rest.’ (Isaiah 32:18)
I ask for this in Jesus’ Name.
Amen.
Donna, I am almost afraid in my flesh to respond to this post, as I know I could begin to appear to be a Donna Taylor internet groupie--some poor, stay-at-home, Africa-trip-wannabe riding your virtual coattails. But I've got to respond, because I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes overwhelmed by the parallel ministry the Lord is accomplishing through your experiences, your communion with Him, and your faithfulness to share both so openly in a public forum. I'm so overwhelmed by how personally, specifically and directly He is ministering to me through your written words. How can that be? How can the ministry of a woman from Georgia (whose life experiences are unique) to a group of women from Kenya (whose life experiences are completely different) personally and remotely speak directly into the life--with precision timing--of a woman from California (whose life experience, are yet again, completely different from the other two)...while the original woman from Georgia is being ministered to by the Lord! Only our dear, faithful, loving, almighty, bigger-than-we-can-ever-imagine Heavenly Father can do that! Only He can take such a disparate group of His earthly daughters and minister His grace to them simultaneously in such a specific way! It just amazes me!
ReplyDeleteYou know, I was raised in a female dominant home with an alcoholic father who, because of that alcoholism, relinquished all of his ability to love and lead. I, too, was raised to be tough and endure...it was the "family culture" I was raised in. Emotional vulnerability could lead to a crack in the armor, and that crack might be exploited...or it might produce a point of exposure that could be so deeply wounded it would never recover...so I learned to wear my armor tightly, snuggly, completely. Some of my adult experiences have only served to reinforce that protective posturing. But living that way--wearing self-made armor--is confining, restrictive, limiting. The Lord, because He is the Lord, can penetrate through--He faithfully and powerfully gets to the inside. But that kind of armor limits the outflow of His Spirit. It damns the outward flow of His love...it doesn't bear genuine testimony of His grace...it inhibits the reciprocal tide of the Spirit that is necessary for living a life of trust and love...love in and love out. It has taken many years of the Holy Spirit's loving, gentle, persistent ministry in my life to peel that self-made armor away and replace it with the spiritual armor of the Lord, which is powerful against the darkness while enabling the Light to shine in...and shine out. There is beautiful freedom in relinquishing that armor into the hands of a trustworthy, loving Father who replaces it with heavenly armor, and garments of praise, and robes of righteousness and love! Talk about a wardrobe change! (Cont'd in next comment post...)
But I admit that recently there have been emotional challenges that have taken me to a point of vulnerability that has sent me scurrying to the back of my spiritual closet, trying to dig out that old armor in a foolish attempt that would forfeit the grace of God and His spiritual attire of freedom--freedom to love and forgive--for the substitute of emotional armor that protects at all costs and quashes forgiveness and love in the process.
ReplyDeleteYour description of those beautiful women and the freeing, unleashing tears that they cried when confronted with their Father's love for them, and His promise never to leave nor forsake them as they persevered in doing the next right thing as an offering to Him, has brought me back to that place of freedom, myself. By God's grace my self-protective fists have released their grip on that old, dusty, rusty, miserable armor that I was trying to unearth! Oh, how the Lord intervened before I stepped back into it and cinched it up!...And oh, how He shattered the magnifying glass I was holding up to my mole-hills, making them appear to be mountains!
Thank you, Lord, for keeping me clothed in You, and for adjusting my perspective to align with truth instead of my own distorted, egocentric point of view. Thank You for Your love bathing those women and for the tears of release that they shed with joy! Clothe us all in Your love, Lord, and increase our trust in You...our awareness of You, so that we don't run back to the confining wardrobes of our past.
Thank you, Donna, for being His willing vessel.
Dearest Siobhan -- I am just now seeing your posts -- as I am about to add another entry. And I am speechless and sit with my head bowed and humbled before our Daddy God. You are such a beautiful sister - sharing your heart - your pain - your weaknesses - and your surrendering. It is truly God at work in you -- and I am so in awe of the way He moves among us all. Not only is He omnipresent -- but also He is able to touch lives around the world with one singular obedience. Oh how I would LOVE to sit with you and share a long cup of coffee - cry together - encourage each other - and help each other build up our homes together. But I smile as God reminds me --- no cup of coffee is needed between us. HE is all that is needed.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing with me the way our journeys are connected --- knit together by our loving Father. You are a beautiful daughter.
Bury that old rusty armor friend --- and come what may -- in God's hands --- walk with HIM. He will (without a word) pour Himself out in your world and splash Himself on everyone that is near. Beauty from ashes...
much love to you friend